Saturday, December 29, 2007

Jarvis takes flight

My respect for Jeff Jarvis is made abundantly clear in previous posts on this blog. With what he has to say today, hypothesizing airtravel as a potentially networked social experience, is fascinating.

He reminds us that when the 747 was first introduced, an on-board lounge like the one shown below, fostered socializing of a very normal kind. I recall a Los Angeles to New York flight in the late seventies on a very sparsely occupied 747 and my delight at discovering that the lounge had a piano, probably electronic, and that the girls of the cabin crew had the time to sing Christmas carols to passengers like me who got very sentimental. That was back in the day when (a) flight attendants were really cute and (b) not disgustingly much younger than me!


No comments: