Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Why DIYLBM? This is why? (Part Two)



As regular readers well know, my other guiding guru (as valuable and inspiring to me as his friend Michael Rosenblum) is Jeff Jarvis. From Munich he has crossed thre bordeer and climbed up to Davos, from where he posted the following:

"Small video cameras are already the hot thing, gadgetwise, at this year’s Davos. Robert Scoble is broadcasting live from his mobile phone, as Jason Calacanis did at DLD. Loic LeMeur is making videos all over for Seesmic (with a bigger camera). I’m playing with the Reuters/Nokia mojo cameraphone (see the videos below). The YouTube Davos Conversation booth is recording the machers on video with tiny cameras.

And I showed my FlipVideo (the $79, 30-minute, dead-easy video camera) to Kai Diekmann, editor of the biggest paper, by far, in Germany: Bild. He gets thousands of photos from his readers, who send it up to a simple number via their mobile phones. Now he’s practicing networked journalism and assigning and mobilizing them to shoot things. He also told me that next week, they’ll have a top chef from a popular German food show telling readers in the paper to send in videos that he will put on his show. Where’s the line among media there? Diekmann is then doing with videos what he did with phones and so he was wowed by the Flip and wants to order a thousand of htem. That’s what happens whenever I show it to open-minded new people: I tell them they should buy them by the dozen and distribute them to their readers to become producers. Here’s Diekmann:




Kai Diekmann, I should add, I do not regard as one of my gurus. I find the publication he edits, the tabloid Bild Zeitung, frankly abhorrent. But in terms of his approach to the craft and practice of networked journalism he certainly gets it.

No comments: