Monday, February 23, 2009

Not quite DIYLBM

Well, Danny Boyle would never have received the Oscar for Trainspotting, would he?

But yesterday the eight Oscars garnered by Slumdog Millionaire will not only give the fiercely independent director new bankability but will also raise questions never before posed in the same way.

No, it's not quite my do-it-yourself low-budget-media (DIYLBM). But the budget wasn't far north of a measly ten million Euros, it was shot in a hurry, the best known of the young actors played a role in a UK soap opera, the finance was entirely British, from a broadcaster, Channel Four, and the WWTBAM production company, Celador.

That's the first time since 1947 (Larry Olivier's amazing Hamlet) that the Best Film award has gone to a British-financed British film!

I think I feel the need for a chicken tikka masala tonight!.


1 comment:

Clare said...

Lol... brilliant! hehe - I fancy Vegetable Korma myself