Sunday, January 09, 2011

Reading matters

Well, these are the two titles which got me through the weekend. However, I have the sneaking suspicion that I had read Reckless before. If so, then the first time it must have served simply as a forgettable time-filling pot-boiler.

In retrospect Adrenaline was very slightly better. But while I am in critical mode there is another gripe I need to get off my chest. Both the covers of these books were sniped with quotes from excellent writers (Harlan Coben and Lee Child respectively) touting the titles in no uncertain terms.

This kind of endorsement begins to sound increasingly cynical and vacuous, ringing as hollow as the ubiquitous... and thus devalued... mention 'New York Times Bestseller'.  They reflect badly on the publisher who resorts to such measures and leads one to question the integrity of the established authors who allow their reputations to be manipulated in this fashion.

No comments: