Thursday, March 17, 2011

Reading matters

"When I saw that Robinson had written another book, I jumped at the chance to read it. I wasn't disappointed, and I recommend this one highly. If you are an Alan Banks fan, you will enjoy this book. If you have never read one of these books, this would be a good one to start with."

This was not by any means the first Peter Robinson I enjoyed. And I was quick to grab Bad Boy last weekend. I was careful, though, and checked the fly-page and ascertained that this was a peperback first published in 2011. And bought it...

...And quite soon realized that I must have splurged on the trade paperback edition before starting to record my reading in this series of posts. My hope is that by blogging about the books I buy I will more easily recall if a given book has already appeared on my radar!

Nice when I told the girls at the bookstore that I had bought a 'pre-read' book I was offered the possibilty of returning it and getting a voucher for a future purchase.

Anyway, I was quickly able to find a book which I had not previously read, and one which I enjoyed a lot. Mark Billingham has the talent of contriving a plot which is so compelling that one doesn't really care so much that his endings tend to be conveniently facile.

No comments: