Saturday, September 17, 2011

Looters, some suited


Earlier last week we Brits were incensed... incensed, I tell you... to learn that Newsweek had dubbed London 'Grimsville, U.K.', a city where the toddlers of the under-class think cockroaches are domestic pets. The riots in England, we are told, will cost the British taxpayer 133 million (133,000,000) Pounds Sterling.

We also learned that of those arrested during and after the unrest 73% had previous convictions.

Piffle... piffle, I tell you!

The very next day we learned that UBS had lost 1.3 billion (1,300,000,000) Pounds Sterling from the unauthorized trading conducted by a lone perpetrator. My maths tells me that this is around ten times more than the financial damage from the riots.

Let the punishment fit the crime. Hmm... In one case, a man was given a four-year sentence just for drunkenly posting an invitation to riot on a Facebook page. Judges are handing out stiff sentences to those who took part or were even peripherally involved. 

Does this mean that the young man shown below face a forty year sentence? I think not.Nick Leeson... who caused the 1995 collapse of Barings, Britain's oldest bank... was out of jail after only three years.

The week left me confused... confused, I tell you!



No comments: