Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Gae Aulenti

The Pipistrello lamp designed by Gae Auelenti was one of my first discoveries when in 1971 I moved from London to the Continent There were two of them in a very stylish café near the Zurich flat I stayed in.

The lamp went onto a growing list of objectsI one day wished to own.

Gae Aulenti was also responsible for the impressive space which she turned into the Musée d'Orsay, a place where I was always happy to linger.

In the image at the bottom of the panel there is not only a Pipistrello but also an Eames lounge chair. Now that is also an object I covet still. Ironic that in Paris I owned a very battered and probably fourth-hand lounge chair. I must have been mad to decide that there was no room for it when I loaded the trailer to move my belongings from Paris to Munich.

No comments: