Monday, March 25, 2013



As The Scotsman reports this morning...

"Eve Muirhead made her own little bit of Scottish sporting history in yesterday’s final of the Women’s Curling Championship in Riga, Latvia, leading her team to a 6-5 win over Sweden and thereby becoming only the second Scottish female skip to be crowned world champion." 

On the one hand, these days there are few Scottish sporting victories to celebrate and so the success of the four lassies is very welcome. On the other... I must digress...

By chance I happened to see the semi-final match against the Canadians on television in my local pub on Saturday. And I found Miss Muirhead quite captivating. She reminded my very much of a key figure in the novel I am currently working on. The story is set in 2016, on the eve of Scotland's independence. And I postulate that the independent nation will have, among other very bizarre attributes, a national symbol comparable to the Marianne, whose effigy stands in every public building in France.

A statue of Eve in every Scottish town hall, please!

No comments: