Friday, August 08, 2014

Outlander again


Here we have it , then, the latest volume in the Outlander series which I first discovered way back in the nineties. With my own background having both Scottish and American episodes I was captivated by Diana Gabaldon's storytelling. I also liked the time-traveling device which is at the heart of her narrative. The feeling that the oeuvre properly belongs in the historical 'chick-lit' genre never worried me overmuch.

And although the new book in its Kindle edition is in my view overpriced, it will be a download quite soon. I just hope it lives up to my expectations.

In September 2010 I complained that the later "books in the saga of Jamie and Claire have disappointed. In the most recent volume the author simply neglected to offer any kind of even temporary resolution of important sub-plots. This left me feeling, frankly, cheated."

I hope that will not be the case with the big, fat book with which I shall be spending a good few evenings to come.

Coincidentally a television series adaptation of the Outlander series will have its première tomorrow on the American pay network, Starz. Below are probably the 'standing stones' which were Claire's portal from the 20th to the 18th century. Advance reviews and reports concerning the series are quite kind. 

No comments: