Friday, April 22, 2016

Snuggling


It's more than just a piece of furniture, more than merely an item occupying space in my tiny Munich flat. And I've never actually regarded the blue armchair as my own property.

It only served its intended purpose for a short year more than a decade ago. When I lived and worked in Augsburg one of the joys was that young Jessi could make the half-hour train trip from Munich for weekend visits. Obviously there had to be somewhere for Jessi to snuggle while we watched Gilmore Girls and Dawson's Creek and our other favourite shows. Since I was anxious to avoid enriching Ikea one more time, I made my purchase in one of Augsburg's premium furniture stores and for a while Auld Da and his daughter were very content.

Then when I spent my seven years in the Sandlands the chair languished unused in storage. On my return in 2010 it again saw the light of day, but in a flat which, while adequate for a lone curmudgeonly pensioner, rarely hosts any visitor. The chair has mainly been used as a repository for discarded garments. 

Then at the end of last year Jessi settled in Berlin-Neukölln. And last weekend when she was briefly with us in Munich there was talk of moving the chair. Her loyal friend Tino waould be coming through town on is way back to Berlin with a van bif enough to carry it. And so it came to pass, Tino's muscle and that of Mickey adequate for the task, although in the lift it was a very tight fit, as the photo indicates!

And now?

I never imagined the blue armchair being so far away.



      

No comments: