Sunday, June 19, 2016

Welcome whimsy, perhaps


Yesterday I had reason to be glad that I had a smartphone in my pocket. Not a hundred metres from my flat, just around the corner, this photo opportunity presented itself for my camera. For many a month I have seen this Morris Minor 1000 parked in my neighbourhood, admired it an noted that it is a left-hand drive export version, making it something quite special, built between 1956 and 1970.


On the way back from my Saturday shopping outing I took a closer look at the car and enjoyed an espresso at the Bodeguita tapas café in front of which it was parked. I found it delightful that it had been strategically positioned so that the window of the front passenger seat could accomodate a television screen showing the games of the Euro 2016 tournament.

But then... as so often in these turbulent times... my thoughts returned to more sombre matters. I wondered about the English football fans on the loose in France. Were they not... with their flags and rambunctious nationalistic fervour... most likely individuals who would vote to leave the European Union? Or would they value the freedom to travel unhindered across the Continent and hence be inclined to vote remain?

And who are the really dangerous hooligans out there fomenting discord? Surely they are the politicians smoothly prevaricating with their own specious arguments on both sides of the issue!

No comments: