Sunday, November 05, 2017

#2,730


I have a mischievous sleeping partner, inveigling himself into my efforts as a storyteller. When I awaken in the middle of the night (as ageing men are wont to do) I find that a totally unexpected word or phrase demands my attention. Last night it was Boat of Garten. I was unable to write it off completely, for there was the vaguest hint of familiarity. As I slowly fell asleep again, I considered whether 'Garten' (that's 'Garden' in German) was perhaps the key to the matter, as 'Boat' might be the German 'Boot'.

Come the dawn, my computer booted up, I turned to Google in my quest for understanding. And, lo and behold, my sleeping partner had named an improbably named village in the Scottish highlands where once a ferryboat had provided transport across the River Spey.

Not that this was particularly helpful, for the Cairngorm mountains feature in Kickeroh and Co, now completed as a first draft manuscript and not in need of a new village setting!

Now if my nocturnal assistant could come up with something related to the sunken city of Vineta, below the waters of the Baltic, I would be most appreciative.




  

No comments: