Monday, December 11, 2017

#2,743


In the course of my decade of writing this blog, I think I have made it clear that I have a greater affinity for Yule and Saturnalia than for the cannily crafted legends surrounding the death, life and, yes, the birth of the Prophet Jesus.

There are, however, delights of this holiday season, especially in Germany where bakery specialities like marzipan-filled Stollen loaves and Spekulatius biscuits invite me to binge without shame.

The seasonal jollity was greatly enhanced this morning when the postman delivered a real Christmas Card. Snail mail from Yorkshire, not a pseudo-personalised missive from my bank, the local optician or one of the food and grocery delivery companies who, admittedly, make my life more comfortable. 

Hence, at the behest of a lovely lady I have known for almost fifty years, I shall duly twinkle!

No comments: