Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Stage and screen



A recent thread I read with interest spoke of the difficulties playwrights have with taking inspiration from the online world. The drama of an internet chatroom or forum is certainly difficult to recreate in a way which might enthrall a theatre audience, with few writers and directors even prepared to take the risk of trying.

My own contribution to the thread is below:

What about the inherent theatricality within a metaverse like SecondLife. Surely today "all the [virtual] world's a stage".

Rather than lament the absence of cyberspace as context for plays staged on the boards of real world theatres I'd be expecting constructed and crafted fictions to appear in SL; maybe there are some there already, waiting to be the next meme, maybe devised by precocious teenagers.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

No comments: