Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Why do I harbour doubts?


It all sounds so very, very promising...

The Abu Dhabi Media Zone is just the latest in a line of projects designed to position the emirate as the beating cultural heart of the Gulf. While elsewhere around the world media companies are cutting jobs, the UAE capital is welcoming media companies with open arms.

The full story is here...
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/534560-abu-dhabi-hits-the-headlines

I wonder whether I really and truly envy the young media professionals who will be imported en masse to sit at all the shiny new desks or operate the latest high-def equipment.

At the moment I don't... possibly on account of being recently and painfully reminded of a tip I was given when I was contemplating moving to the Sandlands just after the turn of the millenium.

"You'll enjoy it hugely," he said, "but just remember you will get screwed!"

And. believe me, his advice to a sexagenarian had nothing to do with sex!

No comments: