Thursday, May 06, 2010

Babel

Quoted from Clients From Hell, a bitingly funny blog which will resonate with any who work at the sharp end of the media...

Marketing people in Germany like to use the English language to give products or events an appearance of internationalism and modernity - even if their own language skills are somewhat lacking. A new client asked me to create promotional material for a camping trip on which the participants will meditate, focus on their inner strength, blabla... Her naming idea was (in English of course) “concentration camp”. After I recovered I was able to tell her what that actually means. Well, she saw the necessity to come up with something different.


I am soooo tired of being asked my opinion of English titles for German television programs targeted at an audience for whom even their mother tongue is a challenge!

No comments: