Monday, July 12, 2010

Stream of consciousness

I own a pair of shorts. I bought them in 1977 or 1978 at a very tiny Saint-Tropez branch of the then still quite new Faconnable marque... it was only in the mid-eighties that Faconnable opened a store in Paris. The style is to this day compared by some with Ralph Lauren.

Anyway... blue-and-white striped cotton canvas shorts. Which I haven't pulled out of the cupboard in the last twenty years more than once! (Okay, skinny legs, nobbly knees, whatever.)

But we are having a modest heat-wave here, mid-thirties daily...

Moving on...

In the latest Ralph Lauren online magazine there's a story about how musicians like Miles Davis and Chet Baker discovered the Ivy League look back in the late fifties when I was in (non-Ivy League) university and owned not a single shirt which wasn't button down.

Moving on...

One of the films shown for two weeks in the cinema where I worked in Dallas was Jazz On A Summer's Day, with Miles, Thelonious and a whole bunch of other greats performing for a pukkah Ivy League audience in Newport...

Moving on...

Newport, known for its sailing regattas. My current translation assignment is all about sailing... a television series titled Seven Seas...

Getting there...

This... brothers and sisters... is music which still makes you feel so damn cool... even on a hot summer's day!




1 comment:

nzm said...

Thank you!

I took myself to the movies to watch this in New Zealand.

It started my love of Anita O'Day as soon as I heard her voice. They started filming her from behind, in that big hat, and then they panned around her to the front - and here was a white woman with the voice of a black woman. Incredible. Her "Tea for Two" from that day is simply outstanding.