Monday, November 29, 2010

Dubai daze...

Two days, to be exact. They started once again with a reminder that my three-year absence has been but a batting of an eye-lid... My data was till stored in the computer system of the Ibis Hotel at the Trade Centre. I have always felt great at this particular hostelry, so much so that once during my Sandlands years I made the awful mistake of booking into an Ibis in Munich which turned out to be worse than dreadful.


The surroundings of the Trade Centre were now for me unrecognizable from before. The restaurant and swimming pool... where I celebrated a couple of birthdays... behind the three ancient apartment blocks have vanished. 

The exhibition halls have expanded greatly, with a new Event Arena building now occupying what was once a vast and permanently full car park area. But beyond this arena, and a short walk from the hotel, there now awaited the WTC Metro station for my journey to Media City on Sunday.

And Saturday evening found me enjoying a couple of glasses of Sancerre at Vu's Bar on the 51st floor bar at the sloping summit of the Emirates Towers Hotel.

No comments: