Monday, December 20, 2010

Pigeons behaving badly!

I have not entirely taken leave of my senses! It all goes back to misunderstanding thirty years ago in Paris at the Place de la Concorde and a memorable dysfunction of ornithological taxonomy.

Pigeons a-plenty... as we saw. 

"Look at all the pigeons!"

But the species of the Columbidae was pronounced with a charming German lilt, giving the word three syllables.

And playfully ( perhaps flirtatiously under the circumstances) I chose to understand a polysyllabic articulation of the German word for penguins.

And in a veritable flash of fantasy we visualized the legions of pigeons on the vast square at the bottom of the Champs Elysées as inhabited by countless penguins.

And I'm pretty sure that these two were there!

1 comment:

Mickey Thomson said...

I love it! 30 years ago?! Mickey