Wednesday, February 02, 2011

German iconography


Wiki says...

Frankenmuth is a city in Saginaw County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The city is located within Frankenmuth Township, but is politically independent. Bronner's Christmas Wonderland, which bills itself as the World's Largest Christmas Store, is located in Frankenmuth.

The area was settled and named in 1845 by conservative Lutheran immigrants from Franconian Germany. The German word "Franken" represents the Province of Franconia in the Kingdom of Bavaria, and the German word "Mut" means courage, thus the city name Frankenmuth means "courage of the Franconians".

None of this I knew before. It was the appealing graphic posted above which caught my attention and the tag line which at first I thought was the adjective 'Münchner' before realizing that an 'n' was missing.

It's just... I guess I have soft spot for Dachshunds!

No comments: