Thursday, October 03, 2013

German Unity Day

Today the reunification of the German nation is marked by a day off work. These holidays, most of which in Bavaria are religious festivals, tend to creep upon me. Fortunately last minute warnings from my daughter alert me to the need to do necessary shopping in advance.

October ushers in the last quarter of the year and also  marks the end of my first three months as a free-lancer without a the security of a client on long term contract. I cannot pretend that this precarious existence is comfortable although I make an effort to stave off panic.

October also brings the first frosts, reminding the trees that it is time for the leaves to fall. Yesterday evening I found my goose-down filled black leather jacket was entirely appropriate. And I was struck by the fact that said jacket is very old!

It was new in the photo taken on the 1st of January 1990.And so was our daughter, not even fourteen months old on that chilly day when we marveled at the fresh breeches in the Berlin Wall, a few metres north of the Brandenburg Gate.

No comments: