Sunday, March 02, 2014

Reductio ad absurdam?


I'm reading a lot about senior citizens who revel in their retirement to explore the world, taking cruises and broadening their horizons. It strikes me as odd, given that my world seems to be getting constantly smaller. The graphic does indicate that my 'village' is, however, a pleasant one, embracing a good bit of the bo-bo Schwabing neighbourhood.

Looking back I realize that I have often tended to create my own small enclave, delimited by easy walking distance. It was like that in London, whether Soho or Chelsea. It was only during the seventies that the radius of my world was significantly greater, encompassing most of France and a good bit of Switzerland and also populated by numerous friends and acquaintances.

A slight sadness, however, is the prospect of the imminent closure of Café Schwabing which from mid-April will no longer be my local watering-hole. This summer there will be no outside tables from which to observe the passing crowd. It is said that in the autumn the premises will re-open under new management.



But I fear that the mural painted twenty-five years ago... proposing 'Breakfast In Schwabing' in homage to the Supertramp album cover. .. will not survive. Probably thenew place will attract too few old codgers like me who understand the allusion.

.

No comments: