Monday, May 26, 2014

Mea culpa 1

2014 doesn't seem to be a good year for what is euphemistically called representative democracy. I must confess  I made my contribution to the galloping malaise by not voting yesterday. Although I was entitled to cast my ballot here in Germany I was prevented from doing so because of the need to present a valid passport at the polling station... and mine is overdue (at a cost of EUR 170) for renewal. So much for my excuse. And, anyway, I would probably have voted for the Liberals who are in so many European nations the ultimate no-hopers. 


It is abundantly clear that this is a time in Europe when Popularism is more persuasive for many than Liberalism. Which I find depressing enough, even without taking into consideration the ways in which in the wider world representative democracy is being cynically manipulated.

Crimea, anyone?

No comments: